Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Errands by Bike.

Finding time to train these days for me is a royal pain in the arse. Sure, it can be done, but with all the scheduling hassles that come with it sometimes I wonder if it's worth it. But then I remind myself why I ride in the first place. I just love riding. Going fast, no speed limits, coasting downhills in an aero tuck, exploring new roads,... That's what it's all about.

Anyway, today I found myself running some errands by bike, something I rarely seem to do living here in suburbia and I love it. I also found the training effect I get from the fast riding between stops, in pants, is really one heck of a work-out.

I think I posted once before about there being no such thing as junk miles when it comes to riding/training. After today I still stand by that 100%.

Oh, by the way, I have managed over 140 miles over the last 3 days and I feel really good. No recovery issues whatsoever. Not bad for an old guy.

In other news I found it sad that Cannondale is ending all bicycle production in my home state of Pennsylvania. I know all about business being business, but it still saddens me. I hope a few of those enterprising souls that are to be left go take their skills and start a new niche bicycle company that builds no-nonsense Aluminum framed hard-core race bikes in the tradition of the CAAD Series of bikes. I'll be one of their first customers.

No comments: