Saturday, November 08, 2008

So What is it Really Like?

They say your home is where your heart is. I just finished reading A Dog in a Hat, by Joe Parkin and it seems to me that Joe's heart and home belong in some nondescript town in Belgium racing a kermis in wind, rain and cold at over 50km/hr. This book is about Parkin's quest to become a professional bike racer in Europe and how he went about doing exactly that. Reading it, I could feel a sense of melancholy in his words, probably brought on by the weather. There is much happiness to be found here too and I get the feeling Joe is, and should be, very proud of what he accomplished in some amazingly difficult situations. I don't want to spoil the story for anyone by going into details, but it's a page turner.

I only have two words for riders out there looking for something to read. READ IT!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed the book! If you're interested in other VeloPress books, please be in touch.

Dave Trendler
VeloPress
dtrendler@competitorgroup.com

John P. said...

Dave, It's a good one. I have the Paris Roubaix book and Bobke II, I think those are velopress books also if I recall. Great reading.