Thursday, April 10, 2008

First Group Ride of the Year.

Well, I finally got off my lonely rider ass and did a group ride tonight. My local bike shop Race Pace Bicycles holds a Thursday night training ride. I had no idea what to expect. Riding alone and not doing any races doesn't exactly instill much confidence in one's abilities. Would I get dropped on the first hill? Will they feel sorry for me and wait WHEN I do get dropped?
I showed up at 5:30 just about when they were gonna take off. I figured the group of Kelly Benefits Jerseys were a clue as to where I was supposed to be so I sheepishly introduced myself. Hey, wait just a minute (I thought to myself), these guys seem kinda cool. hmmm.

Anyway, In my haste, I started out with only half a water bottle of water and it was warm out. By the end I was mighty thirsty. To make a long story short. I had a great time. They are fast. Damn Fast. We went about 40 hilly miles on some great roads.  Did I mention they are fast. Ouch. I have a lot of work to do. 

Will I ride with them again if they let me?  You Betcha. Thanks Howard, Marc and the rest of the guys for a good time.

I'm doing my first race in a LOOOOONG time Saturday. My goal is to hang in as long as possible and not try anything stupid. How's that for strategy?

2 comments:

KMAX said...

Sounds about like my race plan. Good luck this weekend!

John P. said...

thanks kmax, good luck with the triathlon.