Sunday, February 24, 2008

Rock Racing: Are they Good for Cycling?

Last night while I was on the trainer, I listened to the Fredcast and they interviewed Michael Ball from Rock & Republic (Rock Racing). I will admit that I think Michael is a seriously good fashion designer and a serious fan of bicycle racing. After watching every stage of this year's race, it's clear that cycling as a sport has an incredibly bright future. It's exciting to watch and Michael Ball seems to know this. Maybe he does ruffle some feathers, but he's onto something.

His hiring of Super Mario Cipolini can only be described as a stroke of genius. Mario at almost 41 is a moving force in the Peloton and with fans. He totally surprised me at this year's TOC with some great finishes, even the fact he hung on in the mountains shows the guy can still ride, and he's been training.

Some may be put off by Michael Ball's showmanship in regards to how his team operates, but I think he may bring a much wider audience than just us cyclists to the scene, and that's a good thing. It may even get a few kids riding. It may get more than just the kids riding. I for one hope he sticks around long enough in the sport to make some of his dreams happen.

No comments: